Guide to Setting Up Your New Red Pitaya¶
This guide will show you how to setup your Red Pitaya(RP) for use with the casper tools - mlib_devel and CASPERFPGA.
- How to create the ISO for the RP SD card,
- How to setup tcpborphserver on the RP,
You have 2 options when it comes to setting up the SD card.
- Running a script on the sd card you were supplied with the RP with the OS pre installed
- or, creating the SD card using a casper supplied image. (I have not found somewhere to host this file yet so please use the above method for now)
Running the script on a preloaded RP SD Card¶
- This will not affect the running of the native RP software, they run happily side-by-side
- Insert your SD card and boot the RP
- SSH into the RP using the hostname printed on the Ethernet port of the board (default user:root password:root)
- Run the following script on the RP:
# install git apt-get install git # clone katcp git clone https://github.com/ska-sa/katcp.git # build katcp cd katcp make all # copy executables to /bin cp cmd/kcpcmd /bin/ cp fpg/kcpfpg /bin/ cp tcpborphserver3/tcpborphserver3 /bin/ # create startup service file echo "Description=TCPBorphServer allows programming and communication with the FPGA Wants=network.target After=syslog.target network-online.target [Service] Type=simple ExecStart=/bin/tcpborphserver3 Restart=on-failure RestartSec=10 KillMode=process [Install] WantedBy=multi-user.target" > /etc/systemd/system/tcpborphserver.service # reload services systemctl daemon-reload # enable the service systemctl enable tcpborphserver # start the service systemctl start tcpborphserver # check the status of your service systemctl status tcpborphserver
- This will install git, clone and build tcpborphserver and then set it to run on startup.
- Your RP is now casperized. You can communicate with it via CASPERFPGA running on a remote server.
- If you need to install a blank SD with the RP OS please follow the setup instructions on the RP site here
Download a casperized SD card image.¶
- This is not yet available, hopefully coming soon.